Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Change I Do Believe In.

"They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change things yourself." -Andy Warhol

The man who has inspired a nation and the people who voted for him now have the responsibility to work as hard as they can to bring immense change to this nation, for the better.

Yes we can.

I spent the day watching CNN, taking in results from the first town to report in the United States, little Dixville Notch which chose a Democratic candidate for the first time since 1968, to the announcement that Obama was the presumptive President-Elect. My roommate and I had devised our own little activity to keep us even more engaged and excited than we already are. As I sit here I can look over at the map we colored in, state by state, and smile. That map, and the results it shows, make me so excited for the future of this nation.

Yes we can, and yes we did.

It gives me a sense of pride to know that the first election I was able to participate in was such a monumental one. The first black president ever. Some of the biggest voter turnouts in a long time. An election that made young people like myself so excited about its outcome that we cheered for the outcome of Pennsylvania as if our favorite team had just won the Stanley Cup.

This is a moment I will never forget. As the final result sunk in, we could hear yelling filtering through the open window. It was much of the population of Goucher having an impromptu party on the residential quad, elated about the news they had just received and shouting it as loud as they could. Chants of "O-ba-ma", "Yes We Can" and "USA" rattled off the buildings that surrounded us, hugs were given out like candy, and the smile could not be wiped of my face.

We moved into the Gopher Hole to hear Obama speak, a speech that moved many (admittedly, myself included) to tears. He promised to not only be the president of that percentage of the nation that elected him, and vowed that even if not everyone would not put their vote behind him, he would always listen to their voice. In a line he has used before Obama said that we are not "red states and blue states, but the United States of America."


So I'm in an immensely good mood right now; I'm holding onto hope that Prop 8 will not pass, though many of the other bans on gay marriage seem to have passed, unfortunately.

Get a good night's sleep, everyone, we now count down eagerly to January!

No comments: